Saturday, February 15, 2014

Someone is sporting a new look around the house....


As I expected at the eye appointment this past week, B got glasses.  As I watched the exam unfold, I was shocked at how much he could not clearly see at a distance.  Hopefully this will help now with some of his careless mistakes at school.  He will have lots of clarity.

This past week were teacher conferences.  I always enjoy talking to the teachers because both of my boys are adored and loved by their teachers but yet they bring interesting challenges to the classroom.  B's teacher was telling me what an amazing speaker he is.  Whenever she calls on him, he has great volume, confidence in what he says and articulates very well.  Depending on his mood, he is either a passive or active learner.  I told her that is one thing I am finding out about him.  He is never either/or.  He seems to be a great mix of everything.  I always ask his teachers if they think he is a leader or a follower.  As did his 2nd and 3rd grade teacher, his 4th grade teacher said that was a hard question and she did not know how to answer that.  Again, not either/or.  Depends on the day and situation.  She talked about how he will get loud in class, get distracted or want to bury his head in a book.  She said she has an immature class, with a lot of passive learners and arrogant kids.  B was one of the stronger kids in the class.  Despite his struggles on assignments, she has no concerns about him!  One day he was kicked back doing something mindless.  The student teacher went over to stand by him, thinking that it would remind him to get back to work.  She was shocked to realize he had all his work done and was just moving on to the next thing on his agenda.

Jbird is just a bundle of energy in the classroom.  He gets concepts and often finishes his work early.  Then he proceeds to help others, sometimes to a fault.  We were both talking about how it is like he can't stop his words from coming.  He just blurts out answers and then realizes mid sentence that his friends need to do their own work but he can't stop the words.  I think there are 4 boys and 11 girls in the classroom.  He has had at least 2 boys move away but he assures me that Jbird makes up for them.

One thing Jbird loves doing in the winter is finding icicles.  Here is one of the best so far.


JB made his own valentines this year.  He wrote his name on all 6 of the valentines.  He did not need any prompting or help.  All of his letters were correctly oriented!  It amazed me.  Here is a picture of him that his teacher took at preschool.  I guess the teacher's family are big hockey players and she brought all of her equipment in for the kids to try on.

The workouts at the gym are still going well.  I love my new tennis shoes!  Now that my trainer (who I have not worked out with much because of schedule conflicts) has shown me basics and how to build circuits, I am having fun coming up with my own sequences.  I never realized how much one could sweat in 2 minutes if you made them effective workouts.  I do one exercise for 30 seconds, do another for 30 seconds, do a third for one minute then rest for 30 seconds.  I do three different sets, three times each.  I ran the other day for 20 minutes.  I made 1.75 miles and that was with about 2 minutes going at a very slow jog.

We have not had all the crazy bad winter that the east has had.  We have 2 days of good snow and then it warms up and everything melts.  Then it snows, then it melts!  It won't be long before day light savings time and then we know spring is just around the corner!

No comments: